Good attendance patterns are an important factor in a student's overall success at school.
Report your child absent
If your child is going to be absent, notify the school by:
- Safe arrival portal login: dcdsb.schoolconnects.com
- Call the parent toll free number: 1-844-288-7628
- Report the absence through our smartphone mobile application: safearrival
Did you know?
Key facts about school attendance:
- If your child is 20 minutes late every day, he/she will have missed 12 days of instruction by the end of the school year.
- If your child misses only two days of school per month, he/she will have missed one month worth of instruction by the end of the school year.
- Students who are absent 15 days of school each year will have lost one year of instruction by the end of Grade 12.
- Students who attend school regularly tend to be more engaged in their learning, feel more connected to the school and have better academic outcomes than students who miss a lot of school.
Families can support good attendance at school by
- setting a regular bedtime and morning routine;
- getting clothes and backpacks ready the night before;
- encouraging a positive attitude about school;
- communicating regularly with your child's teacher;
- talking with your child about his/her school day;
- taking part in school events and activities to show your child that you value school and education;
- planning vacations and appointments around the school schedule whenever possible; and
- making sure your child goes to school, unless he/she is truly sick.
We can help
Let your school know right away if there is a problem or concern. There are many ways we can work together to get attendance back on track, or prevent an attendance problem from starting.